Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
My teaser…The Firm by John Grisham
An hour earlier, Kay Quin had left the kids with the baby nurse and the maid and met Abby for brunch at the Peabody. She was a small-town girl, much like Abby. She had married Lamar after college and lived in Nashville for three years while he studied law at Vanderbilt. Lamar made so much money she quit work and had two babies in fourteen months. How that she had retired and finished her childbearing, she spent most of her time with the garden club and the heart fund and the country club and the PTA and the church. Despite the money and the affluence, she was modest and unpretentious, and apparently determined to stay that way regardless of her husband’s success. Abby found a friend.
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we get together and post our top ten list based on a specific topic.
This week’s topic is…Top Ten Bookish Goals For 2013
1. Write more reviews. I’m very bad about reading a book and then not reviewing it. I want to do more reviews this year.
2. Write reviews within 1 week of reading a book. This goes along with the #1. When I finish a book, I move on to the next one and before long I’ve read a bunch of books but have no reviews.
3. Complete my goal of reading at least 50 books this year. I started small and will move up as necessary.
4. Complete my reading challenges. I’ve decided to participate in several reading challenges this year to make things more fun and to keep me on track.
5. Attend some author signings, book festivals, etc. I was all set to go to the WV Book Festival last year but ended up having to work at the last minute. I was very bummed but plan on making arrangements this year early so I can attend these types of functions.
6. Work on my networking and relationships. I’ve been bad about not replying to comments or reading posts but not making any comments. I want to work on this and set aside a time to comment on other blogs and a time to reply to comments made on my blog.
7. Join or start a book club. I’ve been wanting to do this for some time now but have been afraid to do so. I will check out the one at my local library first and if it’s not what I want, hopefully I can get enough people interested in starting one.
8. Do more guest posts and author interviews. I want to get to know authors better so I think this would be a great way to do it.
9. Start writing some discussion posts. I’ve been reading some of my favorite blogs lately and I’ve really enjoyed the discussion posts. I think this would make a nice new addition to my blog and get people talking.
10. Start writing some personal posts. I know these types of posts aren’t for everyone but I really enjoy getting to know people outside of blogging. To me, it makes the experience more personal.